Monday, October 11, 2010

Navratri 2010 is finally here!

So as  you can all probably guess, I am Gujurati and I celebrate a holiday called Navratri. It is by far my favorite holiday of the year. Navratri lasts for 9 days and 9 nights. Usually there are religious ceremonies, garba, and dandia. I go for the garba and dandia mostly. Garba is a form of dance when you do a repeated set of dance steps in a line that goes in a circle. Although it may not sound that great, its lots of fun being apart of it. Everyone is usually very energetic. Same thing goes for dandia. In dandia you use two sticks or a stick thats probably the size of your forearm and you hit them in a certain way between you and your partner. I believe today is the second or third day of navratri. I will definitely get some pictures up of the gurjar (the big event for navratri) as well as some pictures of all the different garbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment