Saturday, October 13, 2018

Full Circle - Connecting with the Mother Land

I googled my name out of curiosity recently to see what my name may bring up (in honor of gracious professionalism) which brought me back here, to this blog. It's been a while since I've posted mostly to keep a more private life as I was seeking. But here I am, brought back full circle to my old blog. I've most definitely grown since from facing challenges in my life. As my values get tested more and more, I've finally buckled down to decide on who I am. Otherwise the world will just continue to decide for me, and that hasn't worked at all for a brazen girl like myself.

As it happens to be, it is the season of Navratri, my favorite Hindu holiday. It was a fun night at the local temple where I got a break and chance to devoutly pray and ask for forgivness to the goddess Amba/Kali/Parvati etc. in my favorite forms of garba, dandiya, arti, and meditation. Although I did not stay for dandiya this time as I have clinical/school early tomorrow, I did partake in the other three. I found myself selecting more traditional garba garbs without the flashy mirrors or tassels even. I some how found solace and beauty in the simplicity of the lightweight, movement-allowing garba dress that must have been popular in my great grandmother's time. I felt lucky enough to have such traditional (or "vintage" as they say now a days) garbs as they are not made this way anymore. The skirt is so light weight yet there is so much cloth that the skirt extends much the way a mexican cinco de mayo dress would. Hard to find modern dresses that could accomplish both so I relish this unique combination that allows for simple beauty and freedom of movement. 

When I came home from the temple, I found myself talking to Father-dearest, about life growing up as a child on the family farm back in India. These stories always bring admiration, humility, peace, and sometimes laughter to my being. I loved hearing stories of my ancestors as well. It made me feel like I was a part of a bigger picture somehow and I built many values that I cherish from them. These stories always helped put life back into perspective for me when I feel lost. I've decided to restart my concise daily prayers in the morning and like Mulan add honoring my ancestors into my routine. Any who, we were talking about his cows/oxs whom he always seemed to recall after looking at people (myself included). He spoke fondly of them and told me how my great grandmother had worked with/ helped raise them. It reminded me of a very important lesson (right now I am re-seeking the lessons I have learned in life and this time writing them down so If I forget I can be reminded) that lesson being, you should give twice as much than what you receive in any co-operation and then you can expect some return. Even then, you shouldn't really expect anything in return when you give altruistically. By temperament, my very nature or perhaps great grandmother's blood makes me more of a giver and animal friendship & cooperation enthusiast. There is something so rewarding, fulfilling, and happiness-bringing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment